Does your work get marred by constant power cuts? Then, installing a power backup system is the solution. You can select either the traditional generator or the latest solar energy-powered battery backup system. However, before purchasing one, you should have a basic understanding of both of them. It will help you to make an informed choice.
Read on to have a look at the major differences between solar energy-powered battery backups and generators.
Solar battery backup
A solar battery backup produces electricity using solar panels and saves any extra power in a battery for later use.
It has solar panels, an inverter, and one or multiple batteries such as lead acid batteries and lithium-ion batteries. The solar panels catch the sunlight and convert it into direct current. Then the inverter converts this DC to AC that you can use to run the electrical appliances of your home or business. If there is excess energy, the batteries store it for later use.
How does solar battery backup become a lifesaver?
On days when the sunlight is scarce and electricity demand is at its peak, solar batteries kick in to ensure reliable power. It is very helpful, especially in remote villages where electricity is still a luxury.
Further, as we face the threat of climate change, natural disasters have become a common occurrence. When natural calamities like landslides or floods strike a region, power grids get damaged immediately. In such a context, solar energy will ensure that backup batteries provide power.
Now, let’s explore the advantages and drawbacks of solar-powered battery backup system
Advantages of solar energy-powered battery backup
1. Uninterrupted power supply
Solar panels or solar battery backup systems are the best alternative energy source you can rely on during power outages. Their constant supply of power makes them a better option in areas with frequent power outages.
2. Energy independence
You can reduce the energy dependency on the electrical grid by utilizing solar energy to generate electricity and battery backup.
3. Significant cost saving
A solar energy-powered battery backup system will help you to reduce energy expenses. This is because solar energy is a renewable energy resource. Thus you will get long-term savings on your electricity bill.
They never emit pollutants or greenhouse gases that cause climate change. While you embrace solar energy, you are doing your part to reduce the carbon footprint.
Drawbacks of solar battery backup system.
1. Upfront cost is high
Solar battery backup system requires specialized expensive equipment. Hence upfront costs may be high and render them inaccessible for some.
2. Sometimes solar battery backup systems may require multiple batteries.
To meet all necessary electricity needs using solar energy, numerous batteries may be needed. Depending on the backup duration, energy requirement, and the availability of sunlight, the number of batteries may vary.
3. Limited power generation during scarce sunlight.
Since solar energy solely depends on sunlight to generate electricity, it has limitations in generating power on a foggy or rainy day. Hence, during periods of low sunlight, you may find it difficult to get power back up.
Let’s talk about generators
During a power outage, we use backup power systems. The generator is a common system for power backup. Here, a generator backup system employs the generator to provide electricity when the primary power is out.
The generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy is the main component of the backup system. It runs on diesel, propane, or natural gas depending on the system. Further, there is a transfer switch that connects the generator to the electrical system. During a power outage, it switches power sources automatically.
Advantages of generators
1. Generators come in various sizes
Generators are available in different sizes including portable, large, and stationary. Hence, it offers the flexibility to use it for various purposes and locations
2. Fuel Alternatives
Generators’ fuel options are not limited to one source. They have a variety of fuel alternatives like diesel, propane, gasoline, and natural gas. It allows you to pick the one that suits your requirement.
3. Quick start
In times of an emergency due to a power outage or any other natural calamity, a generator act as an immediate source of electricity. This is because they get started very quickly to power your electrical appliances.
Disadvantages of generators
1. Regular maintenance
Generators need regular maintenance for their efficient operation. If you delay the maintenance like oil changes and filter replacements, then there will be enhanced fuel consumption and poor performance. Eventually, the generator stops functioning. Moreover, maintenance fees will accumulate over time and can strain your wallet.
2. The humming generator
One of the significant drawbacks of generators is noise pollution. They emit loud sounds and are quite noisy. Some generators even cause vibrations that can damage buildings.
3. Fuel depletion
As fossil fuels like diesel and petrol are not renewable, they are depleting so fast. Hence, generators cannot ensure permanent backup power. Similarly, fuel price hikes will break the bank of the common man.
4. Generators accelerate environmental pollution.
Generator backup systems often emit fumes. It will contribute to air pollution that affects humans and the environment.
Knowing more must have piqued your curiosity to have a cost comparison between solar energy-powered battery backup and generators. Read on to get the answer.
The initial cost of solar battery backups is higher than that of generators. However, the government of India provides subsidies for solar panel installation. Moreover, technological advancement has made solar energy more accessible recently.
Solar energy backed battery vs Generators: A final note
· Solar batteries rely on solar energy while generators produce electricity from fuels.
· Generators tend to be noisy while solar energy-backed batteries run silently.
· Solar battery backup system needs comparatively low maintenance than a generator.
· As solar battery relies on sunlight, it has limited capacity. On the other hand, generators run as long as the fuel is available.
However, some solar battery backup systems may include a backup generator to supply extra power during extended periods of limited sunlight or peak demand.
Are you wondering about the buzz surrounding solar panels? Or, have you observed a rise in the number of houses with rooftop solar panels? It is a clear sign that people are recognizing the potential of solar energy and taking steps with an eye toward the future. They invest in solar panels not only to save money but also to hand over a sustainable energy resource to their children.
The growing trend of solar panel installation is altering how we approach energy. It helps to reduce our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and encourages a more sustainable future by harnessing the power of the sun. The benefits of solar panel installations are varied and extensive, ranging from lower electricity costs to sustainable sources of energy.
Now, let’s discuss the top ten befits of solar panel installation.
1. Cuts down the electricity bill to two figures or even to zero.
Electric bill reduction is one of the prime attractions of installing solar panels. Solar panels use the sun’s energy to produce electricity, allowing you to generate power without exclusively relying on the power grid. Additionally, net metering programs let you sell extra energy back to the grid. This excess power you produce can be credited to your energy account. Thus, you can enjoy significant electricity bill reductions with solar panel installation.
2. Solar panels need only low maintenance
You do not have to worry about calling the service agency very often for maintenance. Throughout their lifespan, solar panels require extremely low maintenance. Hence, they are comparatively low-maintenance energy sources. Once set up, they simply need occasional cleaning to get rid of any dirt or debris that may build up on the surface. Additionally, because solar panels do not contain any moving parts, they are less likely to malfunction than conventional energy sources that depend on mechanical parts.
Accordingly, embracing solar power will help you to enjoy the advantages of clean, renewable energy without having to earmark a lot of time or money for maintenance.
3. Long lifespan and keeps on giving.
Solar panels are made to withstand harsh weather conditions including, rain, wind, and snow. As a result, once installed, they will generate energy for many years. Further, depending on the quality and installation, they will stand the test of time for up to 25 years or even longer. Yes, an extended lifespan is indeed a value for your money.
4. Green energy is a friend of the environment.
Solar produces power without releasing any harmful pollutants or greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change. In contrast to conventional power plants that rely on fossil fuels, solar energy plants use photovoltaic (PV) panels that convert sunlight directly into electricity. It means that they don’t emit any emissions while producing electricity. Thus, solar panel installation will help you to contribute to the goal of achieving zero carbon footprint. Consequently, you are adding your share to save the planet for future generations.
5. Alternative to cut back on non-renewable energy dependence
The rising global energy demand has been taking a toll on finite energy resources like fossil fuels. It depletes coal, oil, and gas resources at an alarming rate. If the consumption continues like this they will disappear within a few decades. In this situation, solar energy is quite helpful in lowering our reliance on non-renewable energy sources. Further, since it is a renewable energy source, the sun can give sustainable and reliable energy for generations without depleting finite energy resources. Thus, we can lessen our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and create a sustainable future for generations through solar panel installation.
6. Multiple uses
Beyond the production of electricity for daily requirements, solar energy has many more applications. It is a dependable and sustainable solution for cooking, boiling water, and running generators.
Moreover, if you are a farmer, you can employ solar-powered irrigation systems to boost crop yields. Thus, solar energy is a game changer for the farmer in you.
It is also used in powering vehicles in places with limited access to electricity. Though in the testing phase, it has the potential to provide a greener alternative to gasoline-powered vehicles.
7. Solar energy reaches remote areas.
Worry no more about your home or business in remote villages. You can power them with solar energy. Solar energy reaches every nook and corner where traditional energy sources seldom reach. It is a lifesaver for communities who might otherwise find it difficult to access electricity. Thus, it also lights lives and businesses in isolated and remote places.
8. Sunshine is eternal and omnipresent.
Solar energy is a plentiful, accessible, and convenient renewable energy source compared to other energy sources like water and wind. For instance, hydroelectric power generation takes place only in places where huge water resources are available. Moreover, water scarcity is a looming threat to humanity. In contrast, solar energy is abundantly available and accessible wherever the sun shines.
9. Increases your home’s value
Installing solar panels on homes also raise their value, particularly in regions with frequent power outages or high electricity prices. Homebuyers are becoming more interested in properties with solar panels installed because they get a dependable and sustainable supply of electricity as the demand for clean energy rises.
10. You can avail of government subsidies
Moreover, the government offers solar panel installation subsidies and incentives. They cover a portion of the installation cost. The government of India has started several programs to encourage the use of solar energy and lessen the nation’s reliance on non-renewable sources of energy. Hence, you can leverage these programs to decrease the cost to install solar panels.
Solar panel installation may appear costly initially, but returns outweigh the initial costs. It is a wise long-term investment. You can significantly reduce your long-term utility costs by switching to solar energy. The pragmatic decision in this energy-scarce era is to invest in solar energy and reap the reward of your investment. By doing so, you are powering up your savings for a brighter future. Wattsun, a leading solar company in India known for their high-quality solar panels and comprehensive services.
As the world reels under a dire energy crisis, we are on a marathon race to find alternative energy sources. In this context, renewable energy has been gaining traction like never before. Among the various sources of renewable energies, solar energy is emerging as the most promising one. Accordingly, to encourage the use of solar energy, the Indian government incentivizes solar plant installation through subsidies. For the time being, let’s discuss the solar panel subsidies in Kerala.
Solar panel subsidy in Kerala at a glance.
Both the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) and the State Government of Kerala offer solar panel subsidies in Kerala. The Soura Subsidy Scheme is the name of the State Government’s subsidy that is exclusively for rooftop solar panel installations. However, the MNRE subsidy is available for various types of solar panel installations.
Further, the MNRE subsidy scheme for on-grid solar systems is available only for DCR panels. Additionally, for DCR panels, all components, including solar cells, must be manufactured in India. This implies that only solar panels made in India are eligible for the MNRE subsidy. Only installers registered with KSEB are permitted to offer products under the MNRE subsidy program. The amount of the subsidy must be paid in full upfront. Later the subsidy will be credited to the account within 30 days of the solar system’s installation.
Let’s have a look at the subsidy amount.
The following are the subsidy rates under the MNRE subsidy program
· Up to 3kW, the subsidy rate is Rs 14,588 per kW. This means that if you install a 3 kW solar system, you will receive a total subsidy of Rs 43,764.
· The subsidy amount for installations over 3 kW is Rs 7,294 per kW. That is, for each additional 1 kW beyond the 3 kW limit, a subsidy of Rs 7,294 will be granted. As an example, the total subsidy for a 5 kW system will be Rs 58,352.
· Similarly, the total subsidy for an 8 kW system will be Rs 80,234, and for a 10 kW system, it will be Rs 94,822.
It’s vital to remember that these rates could change depending on the revised rules of the MNRE subsidy program.
Let’s also look at the solar panel subsidy by the KSEB till March 23, 2023.
To promote the use of solar energy in Kerala, KSEB also provides solar panel subsidies. The maximum subsidy amount provided by the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) is based on their assessment of the cost of installing a solar panel system in the state. They also take into consideration the budget allocated for the subsidy scheme.
Current subsidy scheme for domestic consumers.
|>1 upto 3Kw
|>3 upto 10Kw
(Subsidy – 40 % upto 3 kW capacity + 20% per kW for 4 -10 kW capacity)
Are you eligible for claiming the subsidy?
Let us check the eligibility for the solar panel subsidy of MNRE.
· The MNRE subsidy is exclusively available to individuals who have a residential connection. Therefore, if you want to get the MNRE subsidy, you must have a residential connection.
· Only the owner of the consumer number can claim the subsidy.So make sure that you are the consumer number holder.
· Additionally, you will get the subsidy only if you register using the current procedure. If you have built an on-grid system in the past, then you are ineligible for the solar panel subsidy.
Now let us glance over the eligibility for solar panel subsidy of the KSEB.
The KSEB offer subsidy to people, companies, and organizations in Kerala to install solar panel systems for power generation.
· If you are a resident of Kerala, you are eligible to apply for the solar panel subsidy. Moreover, you should have a valid KSEB electricity connection.
· The solar panel installation must be located in Kerala for commercial as well as residential buildings.
· If you want to claim the subsidy, an authorized installer should install your rooftop solar panel system.
How can you get a subsidy on solar?
Once you decide on the solar panel installation, you can apply through the MNRE portal for MNRE subsidies or the KSEB website for KSEB subsidies. The first and foremost thing is to make sure that your solar panel system fits the requirements of the subsidy program. The specifications for the solar panel system’s capacity and installation style are included in the program. Then a certified installer can navigate you through the process. Therefore collaborating with a licensed installer will speed things up. The final step entails applying for the subsidy.
Where can you apply for the solar subsidy?
Visit the National Portal of MNRE at www.solarrooftop.gov.in on the MNRE website to register for the subsidy. The website offers a one-stop registration portal and all the relevant information. You must download the Central Government’s SANDES messaging app to finish the registration process. Further, you have the option of registering independently or using your dealer’s help to ease the process. Since it is a Direct Bank Transfer program, the subsidy amount will be disbursed to your bank account after the installation.
Further, to get the subsidy provided by the Kerala State Electricity Board you can apply through the Apply for the subsidy through the dedicated portal of KSEB.
Solar subsidy amount of each state.
State-by-state variations occur in solar system subsidy amounts. It depends on the state’s policies and subsidy schemes. Further, the size of the solar panel is also a determining factor in deciding the subsidy. Let’s walk through the solar panel subsidy for 1KW in some states.
· Maharashtra is offering up to 40% subsidy.
· Madhypradeh offers up to 40% subsidy.
· The Uttar Pradesh government offers a subsidy of Rs 15,000 per kW for the development of rooftop solar projects.
Solar is the future. Therefore, we should take advantage of solar panel subsidies to embrace solar energy. With the Indian government’s goal of installing 4 GW worth of rooftop solar systems by 2024, the time to act is now. Once the target is achieved, the government may stop the subsidy. Hence do not wait and seize the opportunity now.
The world has been embracing renewable energy at an alarming pace. Among the many options, solar energy is the most reliable, clean, and sustainable renewable energy source today. Kerala has made significant strides in solar energy promotion in the last decade. Realizing the potential of solar energy, the Kerala State Electricity Board has been spearheading the movement.
The process of solar energy installations can be complex and challenging for the common man. However, the KSEB solar installation intends to make it hassle-free for consumers. This article will give you an overview of the procedures involved in KSEB’s solar power plant installation.
Steps involved in solar plant installation procedure.
- Assessing your solar demands before installing the system: You must first determine your energy needs before installing a solar panel system. By factoring in your monthly power usage from your electricity bills, you can determine the power requirements.
- Apply for a connection: The next step is to ask KSEB for a soar connection. You may require to submit a copy of the land title deed of your property, and electricity bills along with the application. Now it is easy to apply through the KSEB website. You can also visit your KSEB office if submitting online is not your cup of tea.
- Feasibility study: Typically, a feasibility study entails evaluating the transformer’s capacity to accommodate solar power. It is because transformers have pre-determined capacity limits. Hence, it is necessary to do a feasibility analysis. KSEB will evaluate the proposed site’s compatibility for installation as well. Consequently, they will assess elements like orientation, shade, and other environmental factors. Then they will create a technical design that takes into account the electrical wiring, control system, inverter, and battery capacity, as well as the size and capacity of the solar panels.
- Approval and payment: Once KSEB approves the application after the feasibility study, they will provide you with the connection offer letter. It usually contains information on the connection, an estimate of the cost, and the terms and conditions. After making the payment, and accepting the terms and conditions, the next procedure will follow.
- Registration of the solar plant: After the approval of the application, you can register the solar plant. Depending on the plant’s capacity, different registration fees will apply. So, it depends on the quantity that you plan to install. The cost will be 1000 * the plant’s capacity plus GST. KSEB will return 80% of this amount after the completion of the project.
- Material Delivery and Installation: The installation of the solar power plant can begin after registration. The KSEB will procure all essential components, such as batteries, inverters, and other solar panel installation equipment. They will bring supplies to the installation location. These materials will be delivered to the site of the installation. The next step involves mounting the solar panel on the prepared site. Further, the technicians will connect the electrical wiring to the solar panels. Then they will position the inverters next to the solar panels to convert the DC electricity produced by them into AC power for usage in homes and business businesses. Later, if the system demands battery backup, they will install the battery.
- Testing: Once the installation is complete, KSEB officials will visit the site to ensure compliance with standards and regulations. They will conduct tests on installation, such as installation resistance tests, continuity tests, power factor tests, etc. It is important to note that KSEB will reject the approval if standards are not met. After ensuring efficiency and safety, the KSEB will approve the installation.
- Connection Request: After getting the approval, the next step is to submit the connection request to the KSEB to connect the solar panel to the grid. Then, the KSEB will provide the connection agreement. After getting the signed agreement, KSEB will begin the installation of bi-directional meters.
- Installation and testing of Meter: After a few days the KSEB will install the meter in the designated area. Further, the KSEB officials will conduct various tests to verify the functionality and accuracy of the meter. KSEB offers Net Metering. You can use this KSEB service to sell any additional electricity generated by your solar panel system to the grid. It is the reason behind using a bi-directional meter. A bi-directional meter will monitor the grid’s exported and imported electricity.
- Meter commissioning: This phase of the solar plant installation procedure is crucial. It entails checking and calibrating the meter that the solar plant uses to measure the solar energy produced by the sun. It guarantees that the metering equipment will operate properly. Consequently, it prevents billing inconsistencies. Only if it passes the testing and verification, KSEB will permit the usage of the metering equipment
- Refund Request: Upon the project’s completion, you may request a refund of 80% of your initial registration fee. You will have to supply your consumer number, registration, net meter installation dates, etc.
- Monitoring: The KSEB ensures periodical monitoring to ensure proper functioning. It ensures that the system provides the expected amount of electricity. Also, following the installation of your solar panel system, KSEB will offer you maintenance and support services to ensure proper operation. Further, it gives consumers a better understanding of the performance of solar panels. Consequently, it will help them to optimize solar system usage.
- Warranty: KSEB also provides warranties for solar panels and other equipment depending on the manufacturer and the model. It covers the shortcomings and defects in solar panels and installation.KSEB and approved vendors provide seamless guidance for warranty services.
In conclusion, the KSEB solar power plant installation process entails several processes, from determining your energy needs to providing maintenance and guarantee. Nonetheless, investing in solar energy is worthwhile because it benefits both our current generation and the ones to come. Furthermore, the cost of paying your electricity bill will strain your wallet at a time when inflation is ruining the economy. Thus, switching to solar will significantly lower your electricity costs.
Kerala appears to be embracing solar energy quickly. Harnessing the sun rays that fall on your rooftops and turning them into electricity saves you from fluctuating electricity bills. Moreover, solar energy is synonymous with sustainable energy that can cut energy costs significantly. The Kerala State Electricity Board, realizing the potential, gives a 40% subsidy for the installation of rooftop solar panels. However, the company you choose for installation determines the longevity and effectiveness of the solar panel installations. Now, let’s glance over Kerala’s top solar installation companies.
Wattsun Energy India Pvt Ltd.
Wattsun, the first ISO 50001-2011 Energy Management Systems Accredited Company in South India, continues to dominate the industry. They have been weaving a ‘Never Ending Energy’ saga by connecting the People, Planet, and Profit with technology. Wattson strives to ensure a sustainable future with clean energy solutions. As an EPC SMART solar solution provider, the company offers services in India and abroad.
Their stellar R&D team ensures optimum efficiency and performance for its products and installations. Besides, through quality engineering, they aim to achieve excellence in embedded solutions. As a result, Wattsun provides the most reliable and top-notch solar power technology. Further, Wattsun offers both on-grid and grid-tie solar systems. Accordingly, they deliver residential, commercial, and industrial solar solutions ranging from KW to MW scale. It is worth mentioning that their products and services come with a warranty. They also arrange Ministry of New Renewable Energy (MNRE) subsidies and KSEB subsidies.
Contact No: +91 9388106363
Solar Kerala, a 2018 Business Achievement Award Winner is one of the top manufacturers and sellers of solar power-saving electronics in Kerala. For commercial applications, they offer a variety of on-grid battery-less generator capabilities. They follow world-class Solar PV Engineering standards for solar panel installation.,
Contact No: +91 9447366779
One of Kerala’s Most Reliable Solar Energy Companies, Comorin Solar has a significant presence across Kerala. They ensure quality and energy-efficient solar energy services for a wide range On-Grid & Hybrid Solar Systems. Their installation and product both adhere to IEC and IS Specifications.
Contact No: +91 97468 35038
Illumine Energy Solutions
Founded in 2012, Illumine is a leading participant in the massive solar energy projects and intelligent energy solutions industry. The company has deployed more than 300 solar power projects. In contrast to product sales, the organization excels at project sales through energy auditing. Illumine is active in both the centralized energy market and the evolving distributed energy market. They undertake off-grid, on-grid, and hybrid projects.
Contact No: +91-484-255 7377
Gallion Watts is a competent and certified Renewable Energy EPC firm in Kerala. They assure solar installations that are durable, efficient, and aesthetically appealing. Gallion offers services in solar panel installation and solar plant design.
Contact No: +91 994 6151 993
Sunsenz Solar by Moopens is a pioneer in renewable energy solutions in Kerala. In 2018, the Kerala government and ANERT recognized it with the Best Solar Company in Kerala Award. They offer fully water-resistant solar power plants with waterproof solar structures. Sunsenz ensures customers a hassle-free experience, from energy assessment & installation to commissioning & after-sales assistance.
Contact No: +91 90727 88866
Oxben Solar Solutions
As one of Kerala’s top solar companies, Oxben Solar Solutions has more than six years of experience. They offer on-grid solar power systems to commercial buildings, industries, and agriculture purposes. Additionally, via green renewable energy solutions, they have completed 100 On-Grid Solar Power Plant Projects throughout Kerala. From conception to conclusion, they guarantee optimum service. Further, their service for panel installation and grill solar installation is available throughout Kerala.
Contact No: +91 9847055764
Sologlow Power Solutions
Solglow, as a pioneer solar energy-providing company, offers great services for both domestic and commercial purposes. The company’s service includes Grid Power Systems, Solar P V Panels, Solar Water Heaters, and Solar Inverters. Sologlow adheres to quality management guidelines and MNRE & IEC standards for all their products and installations.
Located in Hyderabad, Radiant Solar is a design and implementation firm. The company offers high-performance photovoltaic crystalline silicon modules for domestic, commercial, and utility-scale power generation. Radiant Solar uses TUV Rheinland, German-certified modules. They have regional offices in Trivandrum, Kochi, Calicut, and Thiruvalla in the state of Kerala.
Contact No: +91 9154036137
Sedna Energy Systems.
Sedna is a leading green and clean technology solution provider in Kerala. The company offers electricity generation, conditioning, and backup systems for residential and commercial use. They provide affordable logistical and infrastructural renewable resources services across Kerala.
Contact No: +918891084443
Solar energy is the ideal option for generating electricity because of safe investment, minimal maintenance costs, and tax benefits. In light of this, the pragmatic decision you can make is to select the best solar installation company. Also, now is the ideal time to take advantage of the sunlight and bid adieu to the electricity bill.
Solar Energy has now become synonymous with renewable energy. In the foreseeable future, solar energy is poised to replace conventional energy sources. Hence, installing solar panel systems for your home and office would be a pragmatic choice. Worry not. Installing a solar panel system won’t cost you a fortune. Moreover, it is an asset that nullifies your electricity bill.
The main part of a solar panel system is a solar panel that converts solar energy into electrical energy. Depending on the type of panels, the solar panel installation price varies. In solar panel installation, we use both domestic and foreign-manufactured solar panels. Both enjoy popular acceptance. Nevertheless, when it comes to subsidies, the Kerala government provides a subsidy for Indian-made brands only.
The requirement and potential of the state in solar panel installment play a key role in determining the price of solar power installation. There are four basic parts to a solar energy system that together determine the efficiency. It includes a Solar Panel, Solar Inverter, Solar Battery, Charge Controllers, and Panel Stand. Further, the cost of installing solar panels varies depending on the type and quality of the panels. Before delving deep into the panels and prices, let us understand the basic components of a solar energy system
The main components of a solar energy system
As we know, solar panels alone will not harness solar energy and electrify our appliances. Other components make the installation complete. Let’s sum up the important ones.
- Solar Panels– A solar panel is made up of several solar cells connected in parallel and series to convert solar energy into electrical energy.
- Inverter-The DC to AC conversion is made possible through inverters. Thus it powers your electrical appliances.
- Batteries– Batteries store backup charges.
- Charge controllers– It manages the voltage and current flowing from solar panels attached to batteries
- Panel stand– Made strong with an iron framework built of mild steel.
However, the solar panel installation cost varies according to the type and quality of the panels. So let’s analyze the solar installation cost in Kerala based on various panels.
Monocrystalline Solar Panels –Features and Price
Monocrystalline solar panels use single silicon crystalline cells made of silicon. The octagonal shape of the silicon wafers gives them a unique appearance. Silicon gives them black or dark blue color. Thus due to their uniform black appearance and spherical shape, you can quickly identify them. Let’s get more familiar with it through its distinct features.
- They usually possess high efficiency and take up the least amount of space. They also have the longest lifespan. Consequently, they are the most expensive solar panels.
- They are less susceptible to high temperatures. Due to this heat resistance, they produce electricity more efficiently and with less heat-related capacity loss.
- Due to their higher conversion efficiency, monocrystalline solar panels generate more kW/hour of power. Thus, they have a high efficiency of approximately 20%.
- As single-crystal silicon cells require a sophisticated manufacturing process. Therefore, monocrystalline panels are more expensive than conventional panels. They typically cost between Rs.43 and Rs.63 per watt. Thus, for a grid-connected solar system, it costs between Rs. 2,25, 000 and Rs.3,00,000 to outfit a 3kW solar panel. When it comes to a standalone solar system, the cost ranges between Rs.2, 50,000 to 3,50,000.
Polycrystalline Solar Panels – Features and Price
There are many silicon cells involved in polycrystalline solar panels. The square cell shape with sparkling blue color and straight edges make them easily identifiable. Let us understand its primary features.
- Due to numerous silicon cells, electrons have less space to move. As a result of this restricted movement of electrons, Polycrystalline panels are less efficient than their monocrystalline counterparts. Its efficiency is 13–16% lower than the monocrystalline Solar Panels
- Due to the simpler production process and lower silicon waste overall, these panels are cheaper than monocrystalline solar panels.
- Despite being less effective, most people still favor this type because it is far less expensive than monocrystalline solar panels. It costs Rs.30 to Rs.36 per watt. So, it would be more cost-effective to outfit a 5kW solar panel system, which would cost between Rs.2,90,000 and Rs. 3,00,000.
Thin-film Solar Panels -Features and Price
Thin-film solar panels, as opposed to monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar panels, are produced utilizing photovoltaic materials. It makes the installation easier. Its appearance depends upon the variants used. Let’s examine its attributes.
- In comparison to monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar cell types, thin-film solar panels are less efficient and have lower power capabilities.
- These kinds of panels work best on expansive rooftops or in locations with lots of open space. they are less impacted by high temperatures and only slightly decrease in performance when it gets too hot.
- The most affordable variety of solar panels is one with thin-film PV cells. This is because they are considerably simpler to build and use less raw materials and waste to produce. Thus, the cost of thin-film solar cells is lower than that of conventional crystalline silicon solar cells. Hence, they are the most affordable and accessible solar panels in today’s market.
- Costs for a typical 1 kW rooftop installation range from Rs60,000 to Rs 80,000.
Concentrated photovoltaic solar panels – Features and Price
Concentrated photovoltaic solar panels employ specialized lenses to focus the sun’s rays on the panels for great efficiency. Similar to traditional photovoltaic technology, concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) systems transform light energy into electrical energy. Having said that, in concentrated photovoltaic solar panels, a huge area of sunlight is focused on each cell. This feature distinguishes it from traditional photovoltaic solar panels.
There are many competitive advantages resulting from this technology’s ability to concentrate sunlight on a tiny region. Let’s find out about them.
- With a 41% efficiency, these panels are the most effective kind of solar panels.
- Although this installation method is pricey, it is incredibly eco-friendly. The technology is still not as well-known in India as it is in other countries because it is so new.
- The average market price for concentrated solar power is Rs.27,000 per kilowatt.
Bifacial Solar Panels – Features and Price
Bifacial solar panels are the most advanced version in the group. Although solar panels normally get their energy from the side facing the sun, solar panels can also use the tiny amount of light that bounces back off the ground. The Bifacial solar panel is the best example. Its significant characters are given below.
- It increases overall electricity generation by producing power from both sides. It can produce up to 25% more electricity than other conventional solar panels.
- Solar panel installation using bifacial technology produces more electricity with a small installation space.
- The starting price for a bifacial solar panel in India is Rs.21, 750. And, they typically cost between Rs.37 and Rs.52 per watt. Thus within the range of Rs.2, 00, 000 and Rs.2, 10,000, you can outfit a 3kW Bifacial solar panel system.
|High rate of efficiency, less space occupancy, and high lifetime value. Performs well in cloudy weather.
|Low heat resistance, poor space efficiency, and shorter life span.
|Low prices, simple production, and flexibility
|Less efficient, shorter lifespan, and warranty.
|Very high rate of performance and efficiency
|Successful operation demands direct beam radiation
|High Efficiency, Durability, and Energy production even in bad weather.
|Expensive and weighs high.
A glance at solar panel installation prices in Kerala
Solar panels typically cost around Rs.7 per watt to install. Below is a summary of how much it will cost to install solar panels based on their size.
|Size of the solar panel system
|Installation cost per Watt
The bottom line.
The average installation cost in Kerala stands between Rs.60,000 to Rs.62,000. Also, it may vary depending on the grade and quality of the solar installation components employed. However, the government of Kerala offers a 40% subsidy for solar panels up to 3kW. Consequently, solar panel installation in Kerala now will allow you to stop worrying about your electricity bills. Lastly, It is worth mentioning that proper installation of solar panels is crucial in increasing the life span and efficiency. Hence, we have to ensure the installation’s quality, the items’ durability, and the warranties offered.
Electricity, essential necessity for living
Electric power or electricity has become one of the most important requirement to improve our life style. Right from lighting to even electricity has become a very dependent source of energy. Due to ever increasing demand of energy and with less generation than requirement procuring electrical energy has become a very costly affair. Hence, non- conventional source of energy has come to the rescue. Out of the various forms of renewable energy solar energy has gained a wider visibility and acceptance worldwide as its most versatile.
Solar Power Plant
Light energy from the sun generates electrical energy which is harnessed using solar photovoltaic panels. These photovoltaic panels are generally made up of silicon materials which is widely available on earth’s surface in the form of sand.
Why Solar Power Plant??
Solar Photovoltaic Power plant is one of the most reliable and cost effective way to generate electrical energy rather than any other form of alternative source of energy. A simple pv system just consists of solar pv panels and dc loads.
Solar Roof Top Photovoltaic Systems
Here solar panels are mounted on the roof top of any buildings be it a flat/ sloppy roof top structure. Electrical energy generated this way can be utilized in two ways:
Off Grid Systems
Once this system is installed in the roof top the electrical energy generated during the day time can be stored in the batteries. These batteries are special type of batteries specifically designed to store the electrical energy generated from the sun. They are very different from the conventional batteries.
- Cost effective
- 24 x 7 connected with electricity
- More reliable than grid
- Expensive than On- Grid System
- Battery requires maintenance
- Checking of distilled water at regular intervals
- Battery bank needs to be replaced after few years
On- Grid Systems
Here the system is directly connected with the existing utility grid. During the day the excess generated is directly exported to the grid. These type of systems doesn’t use batteries. Hence during the night the electrical energy is imported from the utility grid. The energy imported and exported from the grid is recorded in a bidirectional meter. The existing energy meter is replaced with a bidirectional/ net meter for this sole purpose. At the month end the imported and the exported energy is calculated and the consumer only needs to pay for the imported energy if any. Generally the exported energy is always higher than the imported ones. In such cases the consumer is liable to obtain special benefits from the utility grid.
- Less Expensive
- Low Maintenance
- Completely grid dependent
- No storage
- No energy can be exported or imported during power failure.
Installation of a Solar Power Plant System is a one-time investment with high credibility. The benefits of such a system can be relished lifelong. The struggle arises when a consumer wants to install such a plant. We here at WattSun Energy are specialized to provide you with enormous information and knowledge. It helps you to understand which kind of system suits your requirement the best. Being in this field for a couple of years we have equipped ourselves in providing you with the best cost effective customized solutions for residential, commercial and industrial establishments.