The world has been embracing renewable energy at an alarming pace. Among the many options, solar energy is the most reliable, clean, and sustainable renewable energy source today. Kerala has made significant strides in solar energy promotion in the last decade. Realizing the potential of solar energy, the Kerala State Electricity Board has been spearheading the movement.
The process of solar energy installations can be complex and challenging for the common man. However, the KSEB solar installation intends to make it hassle-free for consumers. This article will give you an overview of the procedures involved in KSEB’s solar power plant installation.
Steps involved in solar plant installation procedure.
- Assessing your solar demands before installing the system: You must first determine your energy needs before installing a solar panel system. By factoring in your monthly power usage from your electricity bills, you can determine the power requirements.
- Apply for a connection: The next step is to ask KSEB for a soar connection. You may require to submit a copy of the land title deed of your property, and electricity bills along with the application. Now it is easy to apply through the KSEB website. You can also visit your KSEB office if submitting online is not your cup of tea.
- Feasibility study: Typically, a feasibility study entails evaluating the transformer’s capacity to accommodate solar power. It is because transformers have pre-determined capacity limits. Hence, it is necessary to do a feasibility analysis. KSEB will evaluate the proposed site’s compatibility for installation as well. Consequently, they will assess elements like orientation, shade, and other environmental factors. Then they will create a technical design that takes into account the electrical wiring, control system, inverter, and battery capacity, as well as the size and capacity of the solar panels.
- Approval and payment: Once KSEB approves the application after the feasibility study, they will provide you with the connection offer letter. It usually contains information on the connection, an estimate of the cost, and the terms and conditions. After making the payment, and accepting the terms and conditions, the next procedure will follow.
- Registration of the solar plant: After the approval of the application, you can register the solar plant. Depending on the plant’s capacity, different registration fees will apply. So, it depends on the quantity that you plan to install. The cost will be 1000 * the plant’s capacity plus GST. KSEB will return 80% of this amount after the completion of the project.
- Material Delivery and Installation: The installation of the solar power plant can begin after registration. The KSEB will procure all essential components, such as batteries, inverters, and other solar panel installation equipment. They will bring supplies to the installation location. These materials will be delivered to the site of the installation. The next step involves mounting the solar panel on the prepared site. Further, the technicians will connect the electrical wiring to the solar panels. Then they will position the inverters next to the solar panels to convert the DC electricity produced by them into AC power for usage in homes and business businesses. Later, if the system demands battery backup, they will install the battery.
- Testing: Once the installation is complete, KSEB officials will visit the site to ensure compliance with standards and regulations. They will conduct tests on installation, such as installation resistance tests, continuity tests, power factor tests, etc. It is important to note that KSEB will reject the approval if standards are not met. After ensuring efficiency and safety, the KSEB will approve the installation.
- Connection Request: After getting the approval, the next step is to submit the connection request to the KSEB to connect the solar panel to the grid. Then, the KSEB will provide the connection agreement. After getting the signed agreement, KSEB will begin the installation of bi-directional meters.
- Installation and testing of Meter: After a few days the KSEB will install the meter in the designated area. Further, the KSEB officials will conduct various tests to verify the functionality and accuracy of the meter. KSEB offers Net Metering. You can use this KSEB service to sell any additional electricity generated by your solar panel system to the grid. It is the reason behind using a bi-directional meter. A bi-directional meter will monitor the grid’s exported and imported electricity.
- Meter commissioning: This phase of the solar plant installation procedure is crucial. It entails checking and calibrating the meter that the solar plant uses to measure the solar energy produced by the sun. It guarantees that the metering equipment will operate properly. Consequently, it prevents billing inconsistencies. Only if it passes the testing and verification, KSEB will permit the usage of the metering equipment
- Refund Request: Upon the project’s completion, you may request a refund of 80% of your initial registration fee. You will have to supply your consumer number, registration, net meter installation dates, etc.
- Monitoring: The KSEB ensures periodical monitoring to ensure proper functioning. It ensures that the system provides the expected amount of electricity. Also, following the installation of your solar panel system, KSEB will offer you maintenance and support services to ensure proper operation. Further, it gives consumers a better understanding of the performance of solar panels. Consequently, it will help them to optimize solar system usage.
- Warranty: KSEB also provides warranties for solar panels and other equipment depending on the manufacturer and the model. It covers the shortcomings and defects in solar panels and installation.KSEB and approved vendors provide seamless guidance for warranty services.
In conclusion, the KSEB solar power plant installation process entails several processes, from determining your energy needs to providing maintenance and guarantee. Nonetheless, investing in solar energy is worthwhile because it benefits both our current generation and the ones to come. Furthermore, the cost of paying your electricity bill will strain your wallet at a time when inflation is ruining the economy. Thus, switching to solar will significantly lower your electricity costs.